Sunday, November 13, 2011

An Adventure in Parking, or My Day In Charleston, SC

A gorgeous, sunny day greeted me as I stepped out of my door juggling purse, shoulder bag, keys, phone, ipod, and extra large cinnamon flavored coffee. A perfect morning for a drive. 

It's about two hours to Charleston and I left early knowing that there were logistics that I couldn't work out in advance, as you will see. I listened to She & Him's Christmas album and glided smoothly in a cinnamon scented, jingle-bell filled haze to the Yall Fest Charleston Young Adult Book Festival.

The Fest was based out of the Blue Bicycle Book store on King St. (It's just outside the shadow of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church - one of the many spires of Charleston.)

Okay, so King Street is about one horse carriage wide and yet they made it two lanes with parking on either side. Needless to say - I'm glad I took the Yaris. Also, once I got into downtown and found the book store, (luckily they had set up a big white tent in the gravel parking lot next door) I saw that our little Fest was not the only doings downtown that day. LOTS of people = LOTS of cars and no where to park. About a mile down the road, I found a metered spot, parked, and dug through my wallet to find exactly five nickles. Long story slightly shorter, I walked back and forth about three times getting cash/quarters to plug the meter (thanks to the girl at the Pita Pit) and looking for a more permanent parking solution. Found out there was a parking garage right around the corner from the book store and they were comping the parking fees. Phew.

An hour later, I made it to my first of five panels - DEMONS, WITCHES, AND CASTERS, OH MY!

A quick note about downtown Charleston itself: It's beautiful. It reminded me of a little London. The smell of old brick with new paint mingled with the scent of warm cement. Add to that the dozens of restaurants advertising their wares by opening their doors. It's colorful and busy, old and modern. A mix of architecture and palmetto trees. Just lovely.

Now, I took geeky notes at all of the panels and learned oh, so much. (All of which I will post tomorrow.) But here are a few things that happened:

Sarah Rees Brennan stood on her chair and reenacted how she tested the strength of the Millennium Bridge in London (for research, of course). People and guards yelling at her,
"Don't do it?"
"Do what?"
"Don't jump, your life is worth it!"
"Oh, no you don't understand, I'm a writer!"
(Very funny.)

Kami Garcia admitted her hatred of cats because, as everyone knows, "they see spirits".

I sat next to Melissa Bigner during the REALITY BITES panel. She was so sweet and introduced herself with the confidence of someone who's seen their name in print. So, of course, I had to find her on Google.

I started crying when Kwame Alexander demonstrated how you can connect to an audience in just 10 lines of poetry during the UNDEAD POETS SOCIETY panel.

I discovered the richness of Southern culture and superstition in the PUTTING THE YALL IN YALLFEST panel.

My favorite moment must have been when the panel of DON'T DIS-TOPIAN ended the session by arguing who of them would make the best Princess Leia. In an effort to end on time, the moderator decided it would be Eliot Schrefer. (The only male on the panel.)

The day ended in an all-to-quickly-over YA Smackdown where 26 authors improvised books in 10 seconds and Eliot won the 'golden pie' award. (It was literally a golden pie on a chain - flava flav style.)

Starbucks lifted my spirits and I drove home to crash. What a day. Lessons to come. In the meantime here are some pictures from my Charleston adventure. 




King St. Shops


Do you see how narrow?


The Pita Pit - my ATM, quarters, and bathroom savior.


Have you ever seen a prettier Urban Outfitters?


Marion Square, Charleston


St Matthews


Me with Kami Garcia and Victoria Schwab


The PUTTING THE YALL IN YALLFEST Panel 
(minus Katie Crouch)


Saundra Mitchell, Carrie Ryan, Michelle Hodkin, and Beth Revis


Me and Beth Revis :)

1 comment:

BethJ said...

So jealous of your wonderful adventure! The pics are gorgeous. We really need to plan a girly Charleston day trip, no boys allowed. :)