Thursday, October 27, 2011

Writing. Actually writing. Not typing.

Objective: To hand write a short story. Why? Because I think it will change how I do things drastically. It will also, probably, prove that I've lost the ability to spell.

While the history of language is long and fluid (and not the subject of this post), I don't think it's changed as quickly since typing/computers/technology in general have allowed it to morph constantly. Just thinking about how I edit on my laptop: type, type, type...ooo...I don't like that, highlight, delete, type, type...how do you spell?...okay, that's not quite the word I'm looking for...highlight...Shift F7...ah, thesaurus...hmmm...words, words, words...got one, type, type type...and so on and so on. Many times I type with my eyes closed, just so that watching the words appear across the page doesn't distract me from what I want to say next.

In this exercise, the point will be to write with something I can't erase on an object that doesn't self-correct or offer suggestions and just observe what happens. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Jessica Lindsay said...

Bold challenge! Just the thought of the fatigue of the bottom of the right hand as it drags across the rough fibers of paper keeps me far from this challenge. :) Tell us all of your lessons. What a great exercise!