Sunday, October 30, 2011

Shiny Pennies

I have not yet succeeded in my task (see last post), but neither have I yet failed. I simply got distracted. Shocked? No? Neither am I. Today began full of good intent. I WILL write. In a notebook. Wait, notebook? I don't have one of those. Okay, well, legal pads? Umm....hmm. Printer paper. That's all I've got. I could line it, or attempt to write on sheets with out lines (yikes!). OR, I could stop debating it, run to Walmart and pick up a $1.50 notebook. Done. Good. I can do that.

Hubby: "Hey, while you're there, pick up a pumpkin so we can carve it tonight." Me: "Sure, sounds like fun."

The plan: 1) Go to Walmart, buy notebook, maybe cool pens, and a pumpkin. 2) Drive to beach for wildly inspiring setting to write - in new notebook.

October is a perfect time to buy school supplies like notebooks and pens. They're all on clearance! Hooray! Decision time: which notebook? The cool, slightly more grown up, artsy, college ruled one? Or, the super awesome, wide-ruled, strawberry dipped in chocolate, Lisa Frank one? In the end I decide on the slightly more grown up one, but ONLY because it's sturdier and I don't what to also have to buy a clipboard to write on. Okay, notebook. Check.

Pens: Clearance...four pack...nothing too special, but there IS a purple one. That will do...wait...what is this I see? White-out? I didn't think of white out! Is that cheating? I think it's cheating...*hand slowly reaches towards white out (which is also on clearance)* NO! Don't do it. The point of this project is that I can't edit like I do on the computer. White out is essentially deleting. *Snatches hand back, turns and walks slowly away*

On my way to look for pumpkins in the garden center, I inadvertently find a whole other clearance section with MORE school supplies. Here I find an old-school Transformers notebook for $1. You're welcome, hubby. AND 80's Glam Sharpies!! Are you kidding? They come with a 'super special silver marker'. THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!!!! *Almost grabs two...but thinks better of it*

So, what was I doing again? Oh, yeah, time to grab a pumpkin and get to the beach.

Have you ever tried to find pumpkins the day before Halloween? This is not the first time I've been dumb enough to leave it to the last possible second. I feel like all those husbands who go Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve. Walmart has none and I have no time to hunt them down. Oh, well. Hubby will be sad, but he'll live. Starbucks, then beach!

*Starts driving out of Walmart* Hey, look - Home Depot might save the day!? Yep. Those are pumpkins. You might not recognize them, but they are misshapen, odd-looking pumpkins. That's cool, we'll carve something funky and then the shape will just add to the funk. *Grabs two* (They're so cheap!) Actually: *Grabs one and then has strange dad-type (who's there with daughter also getting last minute pumpkins) hand her a second because she can't lift it*  Question: Do I check out inside or at the garden center? Crap, these are getting heavy, just decide quickly. Garden center it is. Lovely, kind lady in garden center points out carts to push heavy pumpkins to car. These oh, so helpful carts are next to gorgeous mums, also ridiculously cheap. $2. *Picks up one rusty red mum and places it in cart. Swings back to lovely, kind check-out lady and pays.*

Oh my goodness! How long have I spent at Walmart/Home Depot? How bored are you reading about my distractions? Okay. Starbucks. Beach. Now.

On the way to Starbucks, I realize I probably shouldn't leave flowers/pumpkins in car. It still gets pretty warm in the afternoons.

Defeated for the moment, I get coffee and head home. Unpack flowers. Unpack pumpkins. Carry them upstairs to my apartment. Sit down and sigh. Beach? Maybe after lunch.

Oh no! I left my coffee in the car!

(To be continued...)

No comments: