Thursday, December 1, 2011

The End...of NaNo 2011

I discovered that trying to write an entire novel in a month and travel for a third of the time allotted is just plain crazy. Probably just the first part is crazy on its own, but here's a few lovely things that came out of my NaNo 2011 experience:

1. I wrote over 13,000 words this month! I think that whatever we accomplished deserves to be celebrated.
2. I found joy in writing again.
3. I started to write regularly. Three cheers for creating good habits! (Which may have been interrupted by 11 days of Thanksgiving travel.)
4. I have more defined goals when it comes to writing.
5. I have most of a book outlined. (Which is against NaNo's ideas - editing should start tomorrow morning. I started early and my word count suffered for it.)
6. I'm really excited to keep working on it!

Congratulations to all who participated in NaNo! Whether goals were met or not, I'm proud of us!

Personally, I will be focusing on creating a more sustainable writing schedule in December and January. Perhaps I'll do another word count push in February. Either way, I'll keep the counter going on the blog so you can see my progress. I am one who responds well to external motivation and knowing you're watching the counter will keep me thinking about pushing those numbers up.

How did you do? What did you learn? I'm anxious to hear!

No comments: